Free Call (AUS only): 1800 88 77 66 | Tel (International): + 61 2 9267 7772

Always wanted to live and work in Australia?

Working Holiday Visa

Always wanted to live and work in Australia? Apply for a Working Holiday Visa. This is a temporary Australian visa that allows you to work while you travel. These visas are usually issued for a period of 12 months. They are under a program of cultural exchange between Australia and certain nations with the intention to promote diversity and inter-cultural understanding. You must be between the ages of 18 and 30 to be eligible for a Working Holiday Visa.

There are two categories of Working Holiday Visas – Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) and Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 462).

Subclass 417 visa

The Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) is for people from the following countries:

  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Republic of Korea
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom

Subclass 462 Visa

The Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 462) is for people from the following countries:

  • Argentina
  • Bangladesh
  • Chile
  • Indonesia
  • Iran
  • Malaysia
  • Thailand
  • Turkey
  • United States

How to Apply

To apply for an Australian Working Holiday Visa, use application form 1150. You can apply by mail with a paper application or you can apply online through the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection’s website. You may apply to renew your Australian Working Holiday Visa to stay for an additional 12 months.

You will need to provide the following on your application:

  • Name
  • Date of birth
  • Passport number
  • Issue date of new passport
  • Expiry date of new passport
  • Country of passport
  • Where the passport was issued.

About the Author